Friday, January 15, 2010

elise is...being honest.



Miss Maggie tagged me after her sister Annie gave her this honesty award. I guess the deal is to share 10 things that are really honest about yourself and then tag five people to do the same. So here we go!

1- having kids has made wiser and yet stupider. yes, i said stupider, thereby proving my point. Let me explain- being a mom puts a lot of things in perspective for you. You know what's most important and you are more selfless... you just immediately have more wisdom when you care so much for this little person and put so much more thought into every action. HOWEVER, i am so so so stupid, now that i am a mom. Tell me if you other moms feel this way too. Maybe it's just me! I have so little brain power left that i find myself doing and saying the most ridiculous things! Last night i went grocery shopping. got out of the van and started walking in. turned about because i thought, i really need to lock the van, don't think i did. walked back to the van, went to open the door, it was locked , so i unlocked it. then i stood there and thought, why did i come back here? what was i going to do? OH! that's right, lock the door. for pete's sake!! so i locked the door AGAIN, and went inside. I hope it doesn't get worse....


2- I have a problem with finishing books.... In two different ways. Fiction: if i am reading a good book, or a good series I will stay up all night, do nothing but read as much as possible, in order to finish. This was a lot easier and happened a lot more often before i had kids! ie, Even though i have read all the Francine Rivers books, if i am in re-reading a series, Joel will come to bed and say goodnight, i'll kiss him and tell him i'll just read a little bitty bit longer, and then turn out the light a 4am right before he has to get up. Luckily i am a pretty fast reader so it doesn't usually go on for very long. I think the Twilight books took me about 2-3 hours each. (i'm not a diehard twilight fan, but i did enjoy the books)
Non-fiction: I love parenting, christian living, even theology books, historical books etc. I am SO bad at finishing them though. I am probably in the middle of about 15 books at the moment. no joke.


3- I eat way way way too much sweet stuff. Even when i'm not eating it, i'm thinking about eating it. i. have. a. serious. problem. I'm trying really hard to loose weight right now, and it's killing me. When i went shopping last night i didn't get ONE thing that was unhealthy. only fruits and veggies for snacks... i felt very accomplished and depressed at the same time. Later when Joel was on the way home from church i asked him to pick up diapers at walgreens. and chocolate. No self control!!!


4- I am very sympathetic/ empathetic. Joel would have explained it like this: ELise cries WAY too much. Which is i'm sure, true. Aside from all the dumb hormonal things that happen when you have kids, i'm just very feeling... If i think about someone suffering, or having a hard time, i'm crying. that quick. At MOPs this past monday a lady was there talking about "behavior boosters" which were really neat. At one point she mentioned that she had lost a baby at **36** weeks. I was immediately trying not to sob. If there is something sad going on and i'm not crying, it's because i'm sitting there thinking "don't you dare cry, think about something else, think about summer, ice cream, kids laughing... ANYTHING!
Sometimes this bothers me, but i've decided that if i'm not crying to get my way, get out of a ticket or get sympathy, who cares? (and the one ticket i've had, i cried because the cop yelled at me and i felt guilty. and i still got the ticket)


5- I would love to travel the world-- but i'm too much of a worrier. and a homebody.
There are so many places i'd love to go! I spent my childhood and teen years dreaming of going to France, England, Africa, Puerto Rico, etc etc. I took swahili from one of the Professors at Saint Louis Christian College when i was in highschool, and really wanted to go into foreign missions. I really hope that at some point in my life i'll get to fulfill that dream.
However, i am so... not worried, but cautious. I know that God has everything in his control, but i also know that doesn't mean that bad things don't happen. So i like my kids where i can see them, and my feet on the ground. Flying makes me nervous, boats make me nervous, the current state of the world makes me nervous... therefore travel makes me nervous! i think i may be a walking contradiction....


Okay!!! i have to take a break! i think 5 will suffice for now.
Happy Friday!!

3 comments:

Jaime G. said...

with you on #1

and i think i share a part of your tear ducts for #4. seriously. it's ridiculous how often i cry. when others are hurting or are sharing past hurts. when i think of the past. dream of the future. when people are happy.
it's NUTS! i hate when people are sharing something with me and i can feel the tears coming up, i ahve to look away and make my mind wander a bit so i don't turn into a hot sobbing mess.
love you!

Annie said...

I think it's the Mom in us that brings on the tears b/c I cry at stupid commercials even. I can barely read any email about a soldier & even worse someone who has lost a baby - then I'm a mess!

I think our kids do make us stupid too! I constantly forget what I'm doing, walk in circles, and then finally find the thing that made me think of what I wanted to do in the first place - then I remember.

just_me_tiff said...

oh #3....i love sweets as well. I don't know if i could ever give them up. sometimes i wonder if i could give them up even if my doctor told me i would die if i ate one more sweet thing...haha