Monday, March 1, 2010

i've been thinking, over-thinking

lately i've been thinking about the way we "do" church. and just life in general.
before i start, please don't think that i am being judgmental-- i guess i am, but not of any one person. Of myself and society in general. i don't look at anyone and think "they are so ______, i can't believe they _______. i've just been pondering lately. a lot.

i've mentioned before that i could very easily be swayed to simple, amish simple, living.
It just seems that we (i) am so easily distracted by things that are good from the things that are better... all the things that we work for and try to attain in this life, things that i like and enjoy shouldn't be competing in my life for time and energy when God is the other competitor.

an example, (and really, at this point everything makes me think this... so i could use about a billion examples)

the movie industry.
I like watching movies. I think they are fun. I think some of them have the potential to change the way people think and live, for the better.
but thinking about how much money goes into making just ONE film, or how much money is spent by people (myself included) to see this ONE film makes me a bit sick. what if all of that money was used to feed orphans? i know i'm sounding a little crazy, but seriously. What one thing is most important to our society? being entertained probably. that can't be right....

We saw Avatar the other night and honestly i wasn't that impressed (sorry Avatar fans!) .... there were cool affects and nice parts of the story, but as a whole i could have done with out it. on the way home Joel started talking about all of the tech stuff and the advancements that have been made, etc etc, and i just kept thinking.... that's really cool, but why? why does it matter?? people devote their entire lives to this stuff.... and why? I've heard (and used) the explanation of using whatever talent you have for God, doing something you love, needing Christians in every job, etc and while i'm not saying that isn't valid i keep thinking if we all just devoted ourselves to the things found in scripture how much better would things be? we'd be more fulfilled and people would be taken care of.

the same thing with Church. we spend a lot of time (and money) making services seeker friendly, high tech and cutting edge... i'm not saying that's wrong but i think sometimes that we are selling the gospel short. I think we rob Jesus of his power to bring hurting people to His throne by His own Power.
this is such a struggle for me.
My husband is a musician. He leads worship and does a beautiful job. He is very fulfilled by it and dedicated to God through it. some of the most real worship experiences I have had are through past worship services that ekkardia played for. but so many times i think, strip it ALL away. we just need to look to Jesus and let him be what brings people in and changes their lives....

I love art. I really do. I like the concept of we create because we were created. I understand expressing God through art... but lately i've been even thinking about this as a distraction and money eater.
and then i was reminded of this artist No One Underground.
his work is so striking and kind of breaks into whatever is going on and smacks you in the face with the truth of what is really important. (Christ!) so how can that be bad?


I've read an article recently about some of the challenges and dangers of having one generational churches. I've also been kind of (mentally) questioning "hip" churches and things of that sort... then i see the work of those churches in the inner city, reaching out to people in need and making a difference.

There have been a lot of changes lately at the church that i have attended my entire life. Good changes yes.
But there are some old things about our church that i loved dearly, and some people too.
Growing up i knew that the people in leadership weren't perfect but i knew they cared about me. They were a great example of purity in speech, lifting each other up, and just being kind and loving to EVERYone. there are two people i'm thinking of that you would probably have to literally twist their arm to hear something uncomplimentary about a person come out of their mouth. what they said from stage was genuine because you saw it lived out when you were around them. Of course everyone has their faults and slip ups, but they were (are) great examples.

I think this generation of leaders is so deep into entertainment and media that all is permissible if it's funny or 'done well'(music, movies, etc). i know i sound like an old lady, I know!! and some would argue that this falls into the category of being legalistic. I just need bring up the point that there are consequences that come along with this... it is hard for people to think that you are genuine when you are one way in front of everyone, but decidedly different with your friends, or behind the scenes. I KNOW that everything being done right now is with the best of intention and is prayed about and i want there to be success with all of it. I'm just worried that people won't believe the sincerity behind changes when cynical attitudes are detected. this probably isn't making a lick of sense, so i should stop.

please know that i'm not pretending to have everything, or anything figured out.
I love my church and it's leadership and am in no way trying to tear them down.
and i love all of you and your passion for different things.
But most of all i love my Lord and want to have a passion for Him that is bearing fruit and focused.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Hey Elise-

I think your thoughts and concerns are fair. Your comments brought to mind an article I read in Relevant magazine.

http://www.relevantmagazine.com/god/church/features/20702-church-mutiny

This is not the full article, but it was an eye opener for me. I sometimes get frustrated on both sides of the coin as far as "younger ministries." Frustrated that older people aren't considered (since their wisdom is sometimes what we need, but shun) and frustrated because sometimes I feel stuck in a ministry rut.

I have no answers, but it is good that you are thinking. :)

just_me_tiff said...

I agree with you. It's so frustrating to hear the teens in my church or other people say we need more technology, or we need more of this or more of that. It's so sad that people are just as concerned about the lights, sound, media stuff as they are about the message, or maybe even more so than the message.
On a side note, but also goes along with what you were saying:
I was just thinking yesterday, which was prompted by a zip lock commercial, how we just easily throw food away. If it's a little freezer burnt, or over cooked etc. Or how on the food network we have food challenges, the whole purpose is to see a cool design made out of food, not for eating at all. What a slap in the face to people who are starving :(

JG said...

I completely agree. I think it's about balance, too, in churches. Not catering to any particular group, but particularly in worship, understanding that different people express themselves in different ways, even just when it comes to songs. I think the problem comes when we say "hymns only" or "contemporary only," or we look for what we think worship should "look like."

What you say about leadership is critical. I have some friends who I love dearly and who are Christians who refuse to join a church because, if they were honest, it is because there is no perfect leadership. They were burned by a couple of churches (though in all honesty, part of it they brought on themselves) and have since decided any organized church is wrong. The Bible is clear, we are *supposed* to be a member of a local body, not just the Body. Because if you aren't plugged in somewhere, you are not using your gifts, you are not "building one another up." Anyway, this is your blog, not mine. Just wanted to say, I know where you're coming from.

Jillian said...

sista sister.
loves.
you know it.
it's all about a little give and take :)

ofwhomiamtheworst said...

girl, I am totally with you on this. 100%.