i love that here in good old IL we get to experience 4 very different times of year.
but winter, oh winter.
you encourage me to be lazy.
you suck all the motivation from my bones with the lack of sunshine and opportunity to be out in the little there is.
i get all fired up, and on the right track and then....... what was i doing? taking a nap on the couch? staring mindlessly at Facebook? hmmm.. that was not the plan.
it makes me think of a C.S. Lewis quote:
"Indeed, if we consider the unblushing promises of reward and the staggering nature of the rewards promised in the Gospels, it would seem that Our Lord finds our desires, not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased."
now, granted- in this context it would read- "fooling about with ice cream sandwiches and naps and facebook" - but the idea is the same.
my passions are too weak in the winter, my discipline lacking.

so for the rest of this week i am challenging myself (and you if you feel it seems necessary) to close the computer except for one hour in the morning and one hour in the afternoon/evening.
GASP.
for some of you this may seem silly.
i will guess that is the percentage of you that actually leaves their home and converses with persons over the age of 3.
There is SO MUCH reward in being with your children, but also such need for relationships and communication with the outside world. so this will be a challenge.
we are also currently stuck indoors due to the inclement weather sweeping the midwest- though we don't have tons of snow at this point- mostly ice.
so, i will be forced to tend to the MOUNDS of laundry i cannot catch up to, the unorganized chaos that i can't escape from and the self discipline that i seek and yet throw off everyday.
hopefully i will spend much time reading, writing and praying as well as meal planning and cleaning.
even if i spent all day just playing and learning and being fully *present* with the kids, i think the week will have been a success.
a few other things that are a bit more exciting to tend to before i go and limit my online time:
I spoke with my darling cousin Isaac on the phone today. we have so many beautiful memories growing up and he is currently living in San Diego because he's in love with a girl named Gabriella. i'm an awkward phone talker so i had to convince myself to call him for a chat (so silly), and then i didn't want to put down the phone.
i am coming to a point here, promise!




Miss Gabriella is has a fabulous food/baking blog that i love to read over and drool over and thought you would all enjoy.
You can find it here and don't forget to peek at the gourmet ice cream she is getting ready to launch- heaven's to betsy- it looks amazing! and if you go to the about me section that tan dimpled fella is my cousin.
Also, my brother in law Owen is about to release his new album and begin touring again!

you can check out his weekly video blogs (every tuesday) here and also check some of the early tour date on my sister's blog so you can catch up with them at a show!

Our sweet friend Annie is getting very close to delivering their sweet baby Ollie Faith- just next week!
please take a moment to see how they are doing on Annie's blog and say some extra prayers for a healthy heart, no further medical complications and better weather as they will be traveling from Shelbyville to STL.
alright guys!
this is it- starting tomorrow..... i'm kicking the winter blah's in the butt. hopefully :O)
here we go!




2 comments:
Go girl ... you inspire! Sometimes that computer is a magnet and I am steel.
lol, thanks Elise! So many people have offered to buy him (even at pretty exorbitant prices) but I love him too much to sell him. I wish I had an Etsy, but I'm afraid to start one without a partner to help me run it. I'm not so good at the business side of things. (Much better at crafting then marketing.) I've thought about asking Annie to do one with me, but i know she's busy. One of these days I will get over my fear though because I really do love Etsy and really do want to get involved. (And I really do want to make some extra money doing something else I love.)
I'm sorry you've been hurting so much. SPD sounds awful! You've just given me another thing to add to my why I can wait another year to have babies list. Ever since Halloween, and seeing my Pre-K class in their adorable costumes, and seeing them all dressed up singing for our Christmas program, I haven't been as strong, lol. You've strengthened my resolve. :)Justin needs one more year to get his degrees done, and I'm determined to give it to him. (Even though I really want me some babies, lol) Ah well, when I finally do have kids they will be adorably indie with handmade toys and clothes :)
I'll be sure to pray for ya though. I know how bad anything involving the sciadic can be. Hope you get some relief soon!
Post a Comment