Monday, November 1, 2010

haters gonna hate!

okay, i know i am pretty alone in this, but i am glad that Gretchen Jones won Project Runway.
i know that her aesthetic isn't every one's preference and that's okay.
I think that the main reason people don't like her though, is because they decided they hated her in the beginning.
I won't deny that she seemed really arrogant at points, and that her personality could lead you to think that she wasn't very nice, but i think i understood her so i got past that.
I think her confidence was good thing but the way she said things that she was thinking made her seem arrogant instead of confident. I don't think that she was manipulative or mean-hearted as suggested in the team challenge episode. she definitely had ideas and helped to take charge, but everyone else was on board and gave their input too. (minus Michael C, and i do think she was mean to him, but she came around. He's not my fave regarding authenticity either though).
I honestly think she meant well almost all the time and wasn't a mean person at all. I think she was a little bit desperate which gave her a lot of resolve. i can understand that she was tired of having bill collectors call, that she got there on her last dime, and she really felt like it was this or..... she didn't have a plan B. I really felt bad when everything fell apart when she got back from the show- lost her house, her relationship fell apart- when she was supposed to be creating her collection. But she still did it!
now... whether you agree with me or not, i want you to picture your best friend. imagine she'd worked super hard on a fashion show & a collection and this was the result:



the very first challenge- using an article of clothing from someone else's suitcase.
I loooooved this. i love the vintage feel and i would wear it dancing.
it's still modern and a little sexy in the back, but classy.

the Marie Claire challenge.
i also loved this! not easy to do a jumper that comes off modern instead of 80's.
i thought it was great!


and the add was spectaaaaaaaaaacular.


i thought the party supply store was a very interesting challenge and i this turned out pretty and yet hardcore. she listened to the rules and still came up with something totally her and really cool.


i really loved her textile that she created. i agreed with the judges that the placement was a little wonky on the shirt, but still like the outfit.

now for the final runway-
(ignore the random nonsense here below)
href="https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgjJo3yU0h1NFMkebig5q0gD8-b9IRXG5DfxwVdVOeBJMLVRUKcU8VqPzUgSJMGpYdtKRH9q2y2koWzak-xSyl6ei9yW0X5_m4J7aC1Ym_xFy8xYpqcsL9SaQl-zViGWondZSZK737HlQE/s1600/project-runway-runway-spring-2011-mbfw.jpg">
beautiful and modern


yet vintage inspired


and so effortless.



a lot (bad) has been said about the crochet panties... i was really nervous when she showed them to Tim, pre show. I thought they looked WAY better after she had finished and dyed them, and while i obviously wouldn't wear them, i think that's totally runway normal- to have an aspect of the looks that isn't really street friendly but helps the proportions and lines of the other garments and the line as a whole. But it was editorial still, i could definitely see it in a magazine.


aren't you proud of your bestie?
i think not hating a person does a lot for how you view their work:O)

side note- yes, i showed my faves, i didn't show all the ones where she missed the mark or i wasn't crazy about- but i also left out others that i did like- i just don't have all the time in the world!

Mondo- love him. I thought he did a great job, i thought his collection was interesting & fun, have loved his work through out the season. He broke my heart with the story behind his textile and i hope he goes reeeeeally far. He looked smashing on Runway day at Fashion Week. i did agree that the line was a little young, the polka dot dress was too much as far as proportions, and Michael's point about Seth Aarons-type designers was spot on. I do think Mondo is more polished and classy than Seth, obviously.

Jessica Simpson- What?!?! why was she the guest judge? especially the FINAL one? i totally don't see her as fashion forward or hip & now. i know- this from a housewife who is currently wearing pajama pants- but still.

Heidi- i appreciated her standing up for Mondo- but honestly- she has been pretty annoying this season and i very RARELY like her clothes or hair. She's not someone that i think of fashion it girl- though she's gorgeous and has a beautiful family. i thought she was a lot nicer on the last two episodes than the whole season- probably true for all the judges.

okay, thanks for listening to my frivolous, non important post. i don't really allow myself many superficial, non important distractions, but i enjoy this show because of the fashion, sewing and hard work. i try to ignore the drama, language etc.

thanks for giving a hoot about what i have to say in general, and hopefully this helped you hate Gretchen a little less:O)


(shopping for party challenge)


(2008)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok :) Here's my thoughts on Gretchen. I did feel sad for Gretchen on the Finale Part 1 episode - however, it was too little, too late for me. I did sympathize for her though; I'm not heartless haha. I did enjoy her clothes from the Fashion Week runway and I do enjoy her Mothlove lines - they're so indie/hipster and I love that. However, between her and Mondo (in my opinion) I believe that Mondo was the clear winner. I do agree with you, however, that Mondo was very Seth Aaron-esque. (loooooved Seth Aaron's Fashion Week runway though - however, his designs throughout that season were a little too Hot Topic for me!)

On your comments about Jessica Simpson, I COMPLETELY agree! What was she doing there?? I would've loved to have seen someone like Sarah Jessica Parker or Rihanna (known fashionistas) as final guests judges. Also, Heidi was completely annoying/arrogant this season - hopefully that changes in the coming seasons. I didn't look to her as a credible judge at all.

So as for my bestie Gretchen, I'm happy for her, however, still a little sour that my fav Mondo didn't win :(

Grace said...

Although I wasn't wild about Gretchen's runway line, I loved some of her looks throughout the season (especially the first two).

I also thought it was strange that they chose Jessica Simpson - she was like a fish out of water with those three. I'm wondering if perhaps she was a last minute addition because it looked like she quickly swept her hair back in a pony and her makeup wasn't great. Maybe someone else bailed and they had to ask her? That's my best guess.

Jillian said...

I liked Gretchen's stuff too :)
I liked Mondo's as well.
I think they should've just given them both $100,000.
right?

Annie said...

I liked Gretchen's looks early in the season, but didn't like her final collection really that much at all. I loved Mondo's, but that's how my house is - bold colors & prints, bright and insane & it makes me happy. I think that's why I loved his clothes so much more - I was really hoping he would win! I wasn't a fan of Gretchen - I see your point, but she was just too arrogant I think for my taste. It's one thing to know you are good & you have talent, but she had a bit too much of it at the start. I think by the end of the show she had realized it though & I liked her better then.

Unknown said...

I agree with Jill! <3

Haylee said...

Just for the record, you are so not alone of this debate. I loved Gretchen and thought she was/is an excellent designer. I also don't think she was a mean or manipulative person either, but rather misunderstood. Don't you think?
So you're not alone. Gretchen rocks!! :)