Tuesday, April 5, 2011

confession, and THE GIVE!

Hey there friends!
Sorry for my absence. i've been feeling.... blah. I know what i need to be doing- in my spiritual life, around the house, with cooking, with school..... but i'm just.... blah. usually if i can pinpoint why i feel a certain way i can fix it and go forward. But this is silly. i know i'm eating well (not as well as i should be because of the lazy blahs), there's no issue that i'm not dealing with God, family or friends... other than my laziness in the relationships this week....so..... i'm stumped. it may just be pregnancy hormones but now isn't a great time to retreat into doing nothing. So today is the start of me attempting to let God pull me out of it. I've enlisted Joel's help through prayer/study and would love your prayers as well :O)

today we are trying this recipe for Baked oatmeal... i think it will be like guilt free oatmeal cookies. i LOVE oatmeal cookies. since they are soaked they will be full of nutrients for our body to put right to use. Hopefully that will help me feel a bit less tired- comfort food that is nourishing :O) doesn't it look yummy? i can smell it already.



This week my sister Jillian turns 23! (EDIT* she is turning 22, i'm a goober) I'm so glad that they are home for her birthday.
My friend Michelle (who had twins recently and is part of the church plant that we are helping with) is turning 30 this week as well! i'm going to take the two of them out for dessert on Friday night to celebrate who they are. I think we could all use the break :O) i'm attempting to get a handmade (but simple) gift made for each of them before then and i'll be sure to take pictures so i can share them with you after they've been given.

We are SO EXCITED about the church plant that we are involved with. At the end of May Joel will be ending his time on staff at Copper Creek Christian Church and we will be putting all our efforts into getting ready for the august launch of Atrium Church. We have loved and cherish our time serving and fellowshipping at Copper Creek but know that we are being led by the Holy Spirit to this new service opportunity. We aren't going into a staff position and i will also be losing my income from babysitting at that time so we are relying on God to provide as we follow where we are called. it's been stressful to try to budget based on numbers that will or won't be there. At this point i am trying to put as much away into savings as possible (for real estate taxes- yuck.) and then pray about every expense before it happens. We want to be able to minister to people even when it might not make sense in the numbers.

Atrium is focused on reaching people in the Collinsville, Caseyville, Fairmont City, Washington Park, East St. Louis area. This is one of the poorest and most ignored areas that is totally with in our reach to help. There will be cultural barriers that we are excited to love away. On the west side of 157 in Collinsville there is a huge hispanic community that we would love to serve- Joel is getting ready to purchase Rosetta Stone Spanish so that we can prepare for that aspect. There has been so much change in our hearts and attitudes about our comfort and outreach to those in need- and which is higher on the list of priorities in our daily life.

weheartit

Our first community event through AvenuEast (our nfp counterpart) is called The Give and will be taking place the Saturday right before Easter. This day is usually reserved for Easter egg hunts but we are hoping to bless the single parent families in the area by having basically a free yardsale where you take what you need. There will be bounce houses for the kids, free food and plenty of toys, clothes, diapers etc, for those who need them. Please go HERE to get more information about the event, how you can donate to the Target registry for diapers & wipes, where you can drop off gently used clothes & toys from your spring cleaning and get familiar with AvenuEast & Atrium Church. Please like The Give on Facebook too!

We are praying that there will be a huge turn out and that The Give will be a outpouring of our thanksgiving for the best gift we've received, through Christ.



Today we are reading:
Stone Soup by Marica Brown




how appropriate :O)

7 comments:

Ashley Valenzuela said...

I know a little Spanish! Ismael's family lives in Fairmont so I am taking Spanish now so I can finally speak to them.

And I love the book "Stone Soup!"

<3

Monica said...

I remember Stone Soup in 2nd grade my teacher made some soup and she put actual stones in it. That oatmeal thing sounds good. Let me know how it turns out.

Cayce said...

Here's hoping your blahs go away today. Sometimes they just happen. Those are the times I try to just force myself to get out and get that Vitamin D, smile, and basically fake it till I make it.
You know how blessed you are and where your blessings come from, so I doubt the blahs will hang on too long. :)
Have a good day, Elise!

Welcome! said...

Elise! The church plant is amazzing! Next time we have more than 3.5 minutes together I would love to hear more. Lifting you guys and this vision up in prayer today...inspired by your trust in the Lord. Love you.

Jillian said...

HAHA! you said I turn 23! I'm excited about the GIVE--and so glad that you guys are doing the new church, I know that it will be wonderful, hard and richly blessed. lub you.

Jessica said...

Congratulations on the church plant!!! I will keep you guys in my prayers!

Devan said...

Oh, I love it! I have a whole pile of pretty nice clothes sitting right behind me that I have just been too lazy to drive our to a second-hand store. Sounds like this would be way better!